Homes Not Borders – Program Assistant Intern
Do you have a passion for helping refugees? Do you love to write and organize? Do you want to learn the ins and outs of working at a nonprofit? Then the program assistant intern is the perfect match for you.
The Homes Not Borders program assistant intern is involved in all layers of this small but growing organization – from managing volunteer inquiries to preparing donated housewares for refugee apartment setups. Additionally, he/she has the opportunity to work with our refugee clients face-to-face.
The program assistant intern will learn the ins and outs of how a small nonprofit runs, while also learning about the refugee experience and how to work with the refugee population. He/she will work directly with the executive director who will serves as mentor, explaining all of these aspects on the ground and in action.
- Responding to volunteer inquiries
- Coordinating with donors about picking up furniture
- Tracking volunteer hours and refugees served
- Assisting with fundraisers
- Researching grants and preparing for them
- Preparing household items for refugee set ups
- Organizing donated household items and toys
- When available, helping set up apartments for new refugees
- If interested, assisting with carpentry classes
- Passion for working with the refugee population
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Proficiency with Excel
- Strong organizations skills
Hours & Location
- The program assistant intern can start as soon as possible and work until mid-December
- He/she is expected to work at least 12 hours a week, with the majority of those hours at the Homes Not Borders office, 4318 Hamilton Street, #10, Hyattsville, MD.
How to Apply
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Laura Osuri at firstname.lastname@example.org.